Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass 1 of 6
Goodreads & Amazon

First Read Rating: 4 stars

Second Read Rating: 5 stars

I haven't written a review in a very long time, but I'm so passionate about this series that I felt obligated. I'd like to start out by pointing out that I have NEVER read a book twice in my entire life. I find it to be too boring since I already know what is going to happen. 

I first read Throne of Glass over two years ago. I had previously read the first two A Court of Thorns and Roses books and was itching for more from Maas. Everyone was ranting and raving about TOG, but all I had known was I had first picked it up to try it almost four years before when I was in high school. I didn't give it much of a chance before I gave up. Years later, I thought I'd give it a chance again, after all, I hadn't been too into fantasy back then.

My journey started out slow. I felt like very little was happening in the story, the plot was going to slow, and I ultimately felt like I was having trouble adapting to the world. I often felt confused about things. I barely made it through the book, but it was enjoyable to give it four stars. I decided I'd give up on this series for a long time. 

Fast forward two years later and I'm about to donate a ton of my books. I had four of the TOG books. I was struggling with whether to keep them or not. I ultimately decided to keep them. A few months later, I wasn't quite sure what to read, so I picked up Crown of Midnight after reading someone's review on it - claiming that if you were so-so on TOG, you'd be much happier with COM. I greatly enjoyed it. Then I moved onto The Assassin's Blade, the prequel novellas. After I finished that, I felt like I would understand TOG much better, so I decided to reread it. 

I cannot stress this enough, READ THE ASSASSIN'S BLADE FIRST. If you don't, you won't get the proper experience while reading TOG. During my reread, I noticed so many rich details that enhanced the experience - from small quotes to complete references from TAB. Things that were confusing the first time around were much clearer this time. I think that it's absolutely essential to read the prequel first. 

Now, many people say that the plot is too slow and barely anything happens in this book. I agree, but you must keep in mind that this is the first book to kick off the storyline in a six book series (eight if you count Tower of Dawn and The Assassin's Blade). Maas is attempting to give you little bits of the world, the characters, and her writing style. This is the type of read that you think nothing happens the whole time, but once you're done reading and you're reflecting, you realize that SO much happened. 

Additionally, people say they dislike Celaena's character as she doesn't come off as an assassin. Well my friends, I hate to say it again, but if you had read The Assassin's Blade, you would have had a better understanding of her character and therefore wouldn't have this opinion. 

Overall, this book is packed with action, fantasy, slight romance, and epic quotes that you'll be thinking about long past closing the book. I highly recommend that everyone gives this series a try, it may not be for everyone, but many will regret not trying it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are what keep the blog going! Leave a comment letting me know what you think about a post, or just say hi. I always reply to questions and I will leave a comment on your blog in return. :)